Wednesday, June 4, 2008

TEXAS HEAT

Summer has certainly arrived here in South Texas. When it comes to heat, we’ve got it, plus the humidity to really remind us that our warm months are here to stay, at least for the next 4 – 6 months, as we hear the hum of our AC units in competition with the crickets.

Some folks complain about the high temps, but we would never be able to enjoy our sport in this neck of the woods, if we only shot our guns in what we’d call ideal weather. I’m sure there are some folks that are more fortunate than us in other parts of the country, but we do have to brag a bit when it comes to being able to shoot year around. We’ve never been frozen out, to where those in charge declared, it’s just too cold to shoot. We may think it is, but somehow we just know at the end of the match we’ll get warm again with a hot cup of coffee or chocolate.

Being a lady shooter, it was hard for me to adjust to trying to shoot in such adverse conditions, especially those really hot days, those days when my makeup was off by the first stage, but as I continue to learn and enjoy our sport, I realize that I must just get to a point where I am having too much fun to really care about my shooting conditions. Now that’s being distracted by this sport. A sport that can even change this lady’s mind!

Now before you say, you’d better be careful girl! I’ve learned it is most important to pace yourself and to certainly stay hydrated. We girls are into snacks, so carry plenty. Your pard just might need a boost too! How good a slice of a cold apple taste between stages? It’s a good idea to watch others on your posse that might not realize this all important rule. No one wants to be a victim of heat stroke or worse. Learn to monitor yourself and others, wag that cooler along, no matter how much trouble it might be. Just hang it on your gun cart. You’ll be glad you did. And, most of all have fun!

No comments: